Tuesday 8 January 2013

Books as visual art

Day 8 - "Transform an old book into something new by cutting, folding, gluing and so on."
I searched my house high and low for an old book but couldn't find one I was willing to "wreck". So I settled on photocopying a page from an old book and working with that. I chose the pages of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - a classic. I can recall my mom reading to us from this book when my sisters and I were little. I'm pretty sure I would draw and doodle as she read.
Secret obsession time - I LOVE clothing tags. Seriously, instead of throwing out your tags, you should give them to me. I'd love you for forever and a day. I especially love fabric tags or any sort of unique tag. 
For this card, I used a fabric clothing tag (under the film), a cardboard clothing tag  a film negative, some beads, and string. Just a little collage.





This challenge reminded me of a project I did when I was a teen. I used to work at the library so I got a discarded board book and made an altered book. This is seriously SOOO fun. Just rip off all the existing artwork and make your own! I made all the pages when I was younger, but never finished the last page. I finally completed it a year or so ago.

 sewing pattern, magazine letters, photo by me
 Paper made by me, fake leaves, watercolor trees, hemp, magazine cutouts, scrapbook paper, handwritten quotes
 Paint chips, magazine cutout, page from book with pencil, guitar strings, drawing of eye on sketch paper, Jones labels, tissue paper
 Pastels, hand embroidered and buttoned fabric, hand burned suede, clothing tag, photocopy of pencil drawing by me
 scraps of my photography, paper envelope with pencil drawing
 Watercolored paper with quote in handmade envelope 
 Background from design book, pencil sketch by me, chopstick, clothing tags
 Ribbon, clothing tag, hemp, magazine cutouts, clothing tag with envelope, pencil crayon sketch, fake flowers

Quote on cardboard inside tag
 Back of book - sewing patterns and photograph by myself



No comments:

Post a Comment